If your photo begs for the smell of old leather, the patina of time, and the perfect imperfection of olde time-y photography, you’ve got to go retro. The use of Film Stock, Black and White, or camera look effects is an excellent way to age a photo and create emotion. Here are some tips to make them look authentic.
- Open an image and apply an individual or series of film effects to create your film look.
- Now let’s give the image a traditional look. Choose Effects group > Black and White > Daguerreotype. This look is based on one of the original photographic techniques first introduced in 1839. The technique would expose the photo on a polished sheet of silver-plated copper and then treat it with chemicals for an intense look.
- Choose from one of three styles: Brady, Shiro, or Plumbe, then use the Fade slider to adjust the effect.
- Now, let’s add a vintage border. Click the Frames tab and choose the Film Edge or Daguerreotype borders. For this example, let’s use the Daguerreotype.
- Choose one of the three Daguerreotype frames.
- Refine the effect using the Film effect presets to colorize the photo again, and even out the combination of the image plus the border.
- Also mix the different effects together using the Fade slider.
- When finished, click the Apply button to apply the new look.
Now your photo has a great vintage look.
Fuel your ascent to photo editing perfection with PicMonkey.
Start your free trial!